The Disappearance

Leigha Dix is a 22 year old woman who is described as shy and quiet, not one to seek attention. She has a job and she goes to school to be an X-ray technician. She is also the mother of a three year old little girl. She and the child’s father Dequency Batts had split up earlier this year and she moved home to live with her parents. Batts reportedly had moved on to another girlfriend.

But family says that problems continued with Batts. And on Mar. 27 Leigha Dix filed charges of assault and battery, destruction of property and stalking against him. That case is now on hold.

Batts reportedly now had another girlfriend. Some reports say that she was unhappy with the attention that Batts was giving his ex-girlfriend. On April 17 the two allegedly argued about it. Allegedly during the argument Batts choked her until she was unconscious. When she came to, he allegedly fired shots at her but didn’t hit her. The girlfriend has said that he  threatened her and he also threatened Leigha Dix. Allegedly she asked him what he would have done if she had died and he allegedly said

“Batts’ response was that he would have hidden her body and nobody would ever find her. He stated that he would also do the same thing to Leigha Dix.”

Last Thursday a friend says she saw Leigha Dix in the company of Batts. They were sitting in a car that looked like his sister’s outside her home. The two left and reportedly when the friend called her, Leigha Dix said she would be back at the friend’s home in an hour. She didn’t return and she hasn’t been seen since.

When she didn’t pick up her child from day care on Fri. her family reported her missing. Her car was found on Sunday with her purse inside. Her cell phone shows no activity since May 3 at 5:58 pm.

Police are treating the disappearance of Leigha Dix as a missing person at this point. No charges have been filed against Batts in regards to the disappearance and they are not calling him a suspect, but police say they are questioning him. They have gotten search warrants to search his home and his sister’s car looking for evidence that might be related to the disappearance.

After Leigha Dix’s disappearance the most recent girlfriend made contact with police and told them about the events of April 17. Charges of attempted 1st degree murder, assault, and weapons charges by a convicted felon have been filed against Dequency Batts in that incident.

Batts apparently does have a criminal record for a sex offense involving a minor child.

Family has posted a reward for any information which leads to the wherebouts of Leigha Dix.

progress-index.com         wric.com                 nbc12.com

timesdispatch.com       wtvr.com         press-index.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks to Marcia and Tory we have an update. Hunters found a body on 10/23 about 5 pm. Jewelry found with the remains was shown to family and they believe the jewelry belonged to Leigha Dix. An autopsy of the remains has been requested and a formal ID as well as cause of death will come at that time.

No suspects have been named in the disappearance/death of Leigha Dix. Dequency Batts is currently incarcerated for one year on an unrelated conviction of assault and battery, for which he was sentenced to one year.

zwire.com     nbc12.com             wric.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Police have announced they have obtained a 1st degree murder warrant on Dequency Batts for the murder of Leigha Diane Dix. Cause of death has not been released. Batts was already incarcerated on a charge of attempted murder with another woman.

inrich.com

Advertisements

71 Comments

  1. Sandy Harris said,

    May 12, 2007 at 2:02 am

    Anybody….Everybody….Somebody…
    knows something….anything…maybe everything.
    Think as if you are the father or mother….Call today…do the right thing….

    Everyone else….keep praying!

  2. KatK said,

    May 13, 2007 at 12:57 am

    I don’t have a good feeling about this… I hope, I pray, I’m off on this. *defiantly hopeful*

  3. Leasia Dix said,

    July 16, 2007 at 8:10 pm

    Thank you to who ever set this up. Leigha is my daughter and she is missed and loved so very much. We are desperate for knowledge as to her where abouts. We need national news coverage but cant seem to find out how to get it. National News coverage I think would put pressure on local police to put pressure on people of interest in this matter. Leigha is loved and missed and we just want her home.
    Thank You
    Leasia Dix
    ceashby@att.net

  4. July 17, 2007 at 12:37 am

    You’re welcome. Mrs. Dix on the bottom left of this site is a true crime blogroll. Many of the sites are for missing persons. If you go to those sites they often have an email. Most of the blogs would be happy to speak with you to see if they could work up a more current post.

  5. Daniele C said,

    July 18, 2007 at 12:03 pm

    I am a friend of the Dix family, and i hope that someone can help. if we could just get some information then we would have somewhere to start. This is a nice site and thanks goes out to who set this up. i know that once we get some media coverage we will be able to find her. she has a little girl that needs her. Lets bring her home.
    Thank You,
    Daniele Canavan

  6. Pam O'Riley said,

    July 25, 2007 at 9:38 pm

    Batts has to know what happened! The local police are just not doing their job! We need to keep e-mailing WRIC, ontherecord@foxnews.com, CNN, and sending letters to the Dinwiddie police force. Pressure is the key. They will have to be embarrased for not doing anything before they will…….

  7. patricia phillipi said,

    July 27, 2007 at 1:04 am

    iam so sorry about your daughter .i dont no her but my daughter knows her and we pray for her safe return all the time and if there is any thing we can do to help just let us no

    robin

  8. Leasia Dix said,

    August 8, 2007 at 5:12 pm

    I have a new e-mail address Dsutherlandlm@aol.com. Please contact me at this new e-mail.
    No new information to report at this time, The print on this page is so small I cant read it untill I get a printer hooked up.
    Keep Praying for Leigha, We still have hope its all we have right now
    Thanks, Leasia

  9. leasia dix said,

    August 17, 2007 at 9:01 pm

    candle light service for leigha’s 23rd birthday aug 20, 2007 at 7:30 pm at smyrna baptist church in dinwiddie behind dinwiddie elementary for more info call us 8048619095 or Dsutherlandlm@aol.com
    Thanks Everyone
    leasia dix

  10. Alicia Martin said,

    August 29, 2007 at 9:47 pm

    To my loving friend Leigha… I was the one that wanted to meet you, when I was Hanging w? Dequency. I knew right off the bat you were a Kind & Loving person. I had told you time & time again to leave him . I guess you were to much in love or lust. I remember our trip to NYC it was fun. I remember when , Dequency blew your phone up askin me not to take you to NYC w/ me & I thought that it was funny…Cause he thought I was scared of him…LOL I think that it is funny. I have known Dequency for along time . And, I knew he had uncontrolable rage. I believe with all my heart …..This is my opinion. Like everyone has their own . I think he did it …..And if it is the last thing we do….We will bring justicefor everyone….Especially…your mother, father, sister….& last but not least your beautiful daughter. May God have mercy on your souls. If you know…. I love you baby girl & miss you… I pray God brings you home…. Love Alicia……

  11. Tory said,

    October 24, 2007 at 10:29 am

    They Have found Leigha’s remains!! They were discovered yesterday by a hunter in the woods on Quaker Rd. in Dinwiddie County! Thank you God! I am so glad they have found her, now Keandra will have a resting place for her Mother, some place she will be able to go through out her life when she needs her Mother’s spirit the most as will Leigha’s mother Leisa. Now hopefully DaQuincy Batts will pay for what he has done to Leigha! It is a bittersweet day here in Dinwiddie Virginia…

  12. October 24, 2007 at 2:13 pm

    From: Cuecenter@aol.com
    Date: 10/24/2007 9:26:37 AM
    To: Cuecenter@aol.com
    Subject: [Norton AntiSpam] Re: Leigha Dix

    It is with overwhelming sadness we advise you that Leigha Dix remains have been discovered; please keep her family in your prayers. As arrangements are made, we will inform you.

  13. Jackie Soules said,

    October 26, 2007 at 12:03 am

    Leigha’s remains were found on the 22nd. Monty Henshaw found them. Waiting on confirmation now. They got the dental reccords this morning. So hopefully tomorrow word will be in. Leasia asked me to make a post; I am a close family friend. Thank you all so much for your support and prayers. The rain we now are having is a gift from Leigha.
    May god bless you all.

  14. October 29, 2007 at 7:53 pm

    Post updated.

  15. Sharon Moses Duvall said,

    October 31, 2007 at 2:20 pm

    My Prayers have been with Leigha’s family since I heard of her disappearance…The sad news now fills my heart with grief 😦 No Parents should ever have to bury their child ! (To all who knew and loved her)-May her sweetness always live on in our memories and give us comfort.
    I knew Leigha as a young child and have a fond memory of a Halloween Party she attended at my home with my daughter Lisa Marie Moses,whom were very close friends at that time. -My daughter whom is the same age as Leigha is heartbroken over the horrible news of her death, As I’m sure all are who knew and loved her,as she touched so many hearts of those who loved her.
    May you finally rest in peace now Leigha as your memories will always be in our hearts and may justice now finally be served. May God Bless Leigha and all who knew and loved her. My sincere condolences to her family and all who knew her. Please keep everyone updated as to when her memorial service will be held, Thanks, and God Bless, Sharon

  16. Daelynn said,

    November 3, 2007 at 4:39 pm

    I am really sorry about all of this.I wish I could do something about this all happening.It would be nice if she could come bac to life,but she can’t.But as they say she is safe up in heaven.Daelynn Reynolds

    P.S.Please feel free to contact me at Lilmisbeachshell
    @aol.com.I wish the best for all of you.<3

  17. Jacob Henshaw said,

    November 15, 2007 at 10:28 pm

    My papa found her. Papa was sad that she was hurt. But i know hes happy that her mommy and daddy doesnt have to worry anymore about where she is. My mommy told me that she is with Jesus. So her mommy and daddy will hold her again when they go to see Jesus. I say a prayer for her everynight at bedtime and for her mommy and daddy. Im glad my papa found her. now shes safe

    (Written for jacob by his mother, Jacob Henshaw, Age 6 First grandson of Monty Henshaw)

  18. November 16, 2007 at 3:20 am

    Jacob, please tell your Papa thank you for finding her. Your Papa is very brave and strong and I know that he helped her family.

  19. J. Smith said,

    November 18, 2007 at 5:09 am

    My deepest sympathy goes out to the Dix family during this time of sadness. Although I did not know Leigha, it is quite obvious with all of the nice things that people had to say of her, that she was a wonderful young girl. Mr. & Mrs. Dix, family, and friends of Leigha, Dinwiddie County is a close-knit community and I believe that all of its upstanding citizens who have came to know Leigha through this tragedy feel a great sorrow for the loss.
    Dequency Batts, probably one of the most despised individuals in Dinwiddie County, is a dangerous MENACE and a pure THREAT to society and we have NO place for him in OUR community! At this point Mr. & Mrs. Dix, the community is showering your family with prayers and we are all hoping to see that justice is served against this monster who has caused this grief. Being pro-death penalty, if it were up to me I’d sentence him a with a punishment to fit the crime – afterall, he doesn’t deserve to have a life when he stole one, not only from Leigha, but from everyone who loves her as well…

  20. C ANDREWS said,

    November 27, 2007 at 9:59 pm

    eVER

  21. C ANDREWS said,

    November 27, 2007 at 10:02 pm

    I AM TRULY SORRY FOR THE LOST OF LEIGH AND I AM SORRY FOR KEANDRA , BUT I HAVE KNOWN DEQUENCY FOR SOME TIME KNOW. I HAVE ONLY KNOWN HIM TO BE A KIND AND LOVING FATHER. I COULD NOT IMAGINE HURTING ANYONE. AND NO THIS IS NOT A FAMILY MEMBER. IF HE IS GUILTY THEN JUSTICE WILL PREVAIL. IN MY HEART I KNOW THAT KNOW THAT HE WOULD NOT HURT A HAIR ON ANYONE’S HEAD.

  22. Jordan Klein said,

    November 30, 2007 at 2:08 am

    Mr. & Mrs. Dix-
    I know that you must be in the process of moving on with your lives without your wonderful daughter. I am a radiology student at SRMC in Petersburg, where I learned that Leigha was supposed to have attended this fall. It terribly saddens me to know that I would have had the opportunity to meet your daughter. My classmates and I, and my husband are praying for your family and we wish you the happiest holiday season imaginable in this difficult time.

  23. J Smith said,

    January 7, 2008 at 6:14 am

    I am baffled as to the comments made by C ANDREWS…this Dequency Batts, who ANDREWS describes as an individual who “would not hurt a hair on anyone’s head” is a convicted sex offender. I believe this conviction speaks for itself and is quite controversial to ANDREWS’ description of him as “kind and loving”. Furthermore, if he is truly someone who ANDREWS “could not imagine hurting anyone” then perhaps it is the rest of us who are crazy for thinking that Dequency Batts, A CONVICTED FELON/SEX OFFENDER, would pose a threat to our society…

  24. Leasia Dix said,

    January 16, 2008 at 4:02 am

    FOR SOME REASON I CANT SEE THESE COMMENTS THEY ARE TOO SMALL AND I CANT MAKE THEM LARGER. SOMEONE THAT KNOWS ME PLEASE PRINT THEM AND GIVE THEM TO ME
    THANKS , LEASIA

  25. January 16, 2008 at 5:44 am

    Leasia, check the top of your browser and see if you don’t have a space called either page or view. Click on that and look for an item called zoom. If you have that you can choose what size you want the page to display. Unfortunately I don’t have control over what size the comments display.

  26. unknown said,

    February 26, 2008 at 10:59 pm

    dequency batts will never hurt no1 what happen in the past let it stay in the past he will always have a home in dinwiddie no matter what people talk bad about him and dont even know him he was just at the wrong place at the wrong time anyone of her friends or male friends she talk to could have done this so stop pointing fingers like kids and let the court take action so free dequency batts love ya always and forever and i miss you so much KEANDRA BATTS hope to see you soon yes this is a family member

  27. C ANDREWS said,

    February 28, 2008 at 2:17 pm

    I AM SO HAPPY THAT I’M NOT THE ONLY PERSON WHO FEELS THE WAY I DO. LIKE I SAID BEFORE, DEQUENCY IS A GOOD PERSON, AND A LOVING FATHER. THAT LITTLE GIRL LOVES HER DADDY AND NOW HER MOM IS GONE AND REGARDLESS OF IF HE IS CONVICTED OR NOT, HE WILL NEVER SEE KEANDRA AGAIN. SO LET IT BE KNOWN, EVERYONE DOESNT FEEL THE SAME. DEQUENCY IS LOVED AND CARED ABOUT. STOP POINTING THE FINGER AT ONE PERSON , BECAUSE HE WASNT THE ONLY “MENACE OR THREAT” SHE WAS INVOLVED WITH. CHECK AROUND ASK QUESTIONS ELSEWHERE. GET YOUR MINDS OFF OF DEQUENCY. LOVE YOU QUENCY HOPE YOU COME HOME SOON. AND NO THIS IS NOT A FAMILY MEMBER.

  28. J Smith said,

    March 30, 2008 at 2:55 pm

    Beware “Unknown” and “C ANDREWS”, the Virginia Judicial Systems website can contradict any positive things that you have to say about Dequency Batts. This website is public record so anyone can look him up in the system and see that he is a CONVICTED FELON – A SEX OFFENDER. And it doesn’t stop there, he has several other charges with a guilty disposition as well. So it is probably safe to say there’s nothing good about any of this. If this is your idea of a “good person” then, for your own safety, perhaps you might consider counseling as it may benefit you in regards to future relationships with others. As far as the baby, little Keandra, the decision to keep her life safe from a dangerous individual is definately made with her best interest in mind – it saddens me that your wisdom does not expand enough to allow you to see this.

  29. joy said,

    March 30, 2008 at 5:39 pm

    My heart goes out to the family of Leigha. You stay strong, and have faith.I know that things will never be the same,but you are not alone. I lost my neice , she was a victim of a violent crime ,when you can, read the irate ex. his family,talked about how kind and sweet he is,dont let that nonsense bother you, because thats all that is. you are in my prayers

  30. c andrews said,

    March 31, 2008 at 12:30 pm

    This comment is for J. Smith, You can say whatever you want to say. I am sorry for the lost of Leigh, and if Dequency is quilty then the justice system will find him guilty. It’s not up to you to do it. And you really don’t know all the details reqarding his sex offenders conviction. Ask the Dix family they can tell you all about it. But I bet they won’t. People often tell what they want not what they need to. I’m pretty sure everyone has a convicted felon in their family, that dosen’t mean that they are the worst people in the world. Sorry I refuse to let you continue to speak so maliciously about him. Sorry I love him no matter what, and I am not a family member!

  31. March 31, 2008 at 5:48 pm

    C Andrews you are going on the premise that a person is innocent until proven guilty. But that premise is only true in a court of law. Outside the courtroom people have a right to form opinions based on what is known about a crime and the history that surrounds a crime. That will not convict Batts, he will be charged and tried based on evidence of any crime. Just as he was in the past convictions.

    I have accepted and allowed everyone’s comments that say Batts didn’t do this. But I will also allow anyone to comment who say they believe he did do it. Because they have as much a right or more to express their opinions than anyone else. After all, they are the one who lost a loved one to a violent death. They are the ones who really have a right to shock and anger. They are the ones who will suffer from missing their loved one, wishing they could see her, hear her.

    I am not going to say that I know for certain that Batts is guilty, there is a lot of history and information that I don’t have that they probably do. But I will confess, I do question why Batts was the last person seen with Leigha, why he is the one she had made a previous complaint about, why there would be an attempted murder charge against him on another woman who had a relationship with him. That appears to be a common theme. As far as the “sex offense” it appears to have involved a minor child. The way I see it, he appears to be a little old to have a minor “girlfriend.” So I wouldn’t downplay that. So we are talking about not just a death of a woman, but 3-4 offenses against female’s in his life.

    I have given this thread some leeway, but I do have to say that though everyone has a right to their opinion in this case, there will be no more attempts to stop victims family and friends from voicing their feelings and opinions. If anyone has a right to shock and anger over the loss of their loved one, it is them. And to tell you the truth, you all are not helping Batts. Because in all of your defense of Batts it makes me wonder more about the atmosphere that surrounded him. That no matter who may have been hurt or how badly- Batts is perfect…. sorry, I don’t believe that. But maybe it explains why he may have believed he could get by with it, or may have been entitled no matter who got hurt. Yes, you may love him. And that is ok. But when that love extends to allowing and accepting him harming others, that is pretty bad.

  32. unknown23 said,

    March 31, 2008 at 6:53 pm

    I have been keeping up with all of the blogs and everything with the case of Leigha and Dequency. I am friends with the both of them, even though Leigha is no longer with us I still consider her and myself friends. I use to hang out with them and talk to them all the time. If anyone knew them, they knew how their relationship worked, on and off again all the time through out the years. I’m am not at all saying Dequency didnt do this but I am also not saying he didn’t, I am not sure and I don’t believe anyone does except for the person who commited the crime, if there is a person who did, and Leigha. For everyone sitting there accusing him of being a bad person for being a convicted sexual offender, well sometimes there are cases of stagatory rape where a minor consents to the sexual progress but you have to remember they are still a minor, people need to do their homework on his charges before accusing him, as I said before I was close with Leigha and she use to talk to me. Yes, Dequency may have hung out with the wrong crowd at times but that dosent make him a killer. I do know that Leigha was dating another man that was from Georgia and he was here living and he was seen driving her car the day after her disappearnce from my understanding, but my question is how come no fingers are being pointed at him and know one has accused him, because its just sort of obvious to me that maybe he knows something being that after her dissapearence he had went back to georgia. As I said before for anyone who knows Leigha and Dequency and the way their relationship was they know that they were always on and off again, so for all we know she could have maybe been trying to work things out with Dequency once again and the other boyfriend got jealous or even someone else. It just kills me to see that everyone is so interested in pointing the finger at one person because they already have one charge when nobody knows the full details of that charge, my grandfather, god bless his soul, “always told me to watch your back because its the people you least expect it from who will do the wrong”, and I strongly stick by that. As I said before, I’m not saying he didnt commit a crime concerning Leigha but I’m not saying he did, but look at other as well if there still is that chance, because what if for some chance he didnt do this and all of this time was wasted on pointing the finger at him and the real person that did this if it wasnt dequency is or has already got away. Luv ya and we all miss you Leigha, your spirit will carry on with Keandra!!

  33. Trey said,

    March 31, 2008 at 7:11 pm

    unknown wrote: “For everyone sitting there accusing him of being a bad person for being a convicted sexual offender, well sometimes there are cases of stagatory rape where a minor consents to the sexual progress but you have to remember they are still a minor, people need to do their homework on his charges before accusing him, as I said before I was close with Leigha and she use to talk to me.”

    Being a convicted sexual offender is either factually correct or it is not. He had that conviction or he did not. Statutory rape is rape. That is the law. Minors cannot consent to sexual activity with an adult. That is the law.

    Convicted sexual offenders are people who have raped or molested people. In my book, that makes them people who have done a very bad thing. If they do it more than once, I am willing to call them a bad person and hope that they die in prison as they serve time for their crimes.

    Trey

  34. unknown23 said,

    March 31, 2008 at 7:51 pm

    Trey: You say that a minor is a minor and cannot consent to secual activity with an adult, well just about everyone I know that lost their virginity before they were legal age has had sex with an adult, I dont know many girls of the age 16 or 17 that only date people the same age or younger. In this case with Dequency how do you know that it wasnt a 14 to 17 year old girl saying yes to havin sexual activity with him and he did it, what makes it different for her to yes to him and saying yes to someone her own age, I do agree that if the girl is that young she doesnt need to be having sex but if she wasnt having it with him it was someone, I am sure if not you, you know someone that has had sexual activity with someone under the legal age while they themself was of legal age whether it be 1 to 8 years, you just can’t go and accuse until you know the whole story, all it takes is for a girl to date a guy and have activity with him and he be legal and her not to be and the parents to not like him, I am speaking for that from personal experience.

  35. April 1, 2008 at 4:07 am

    Statuatory rape is a crime. A very serious crime at that. And any male or female who chooses to have sexual activity of any type with a minor who is under their state’s age of consent is breaking the law. In doing so, they are taking their chances at being caught and punished. If he chose to break the law, take the chance of being caught and punished, then why in the world should anyone “excuse” him for choosing to commit a crime of his own free will?

  36. Trey said,

    April 1, 2008 at 2:44 pm

    Unknown wrote: “You say that a minor is a minor and cannot consent to secual activity with an adult,”

    Yes I did, this is a fact of the law.

    “well just about everyone I know that lost their virginity before they were legal age has had sex with an adult, I dont know many girls of the age 16 or 17 that only date people the same age or younger.”

    I would find a smarter bunch of people to hang out with!

    “In this case with Dequency how do you know that it wasnt a 14 to 17 year old girl saying yes to havin sexual activity with him and he did it, what makes it different for her to yes to him and saying yes to someone her own age,”

    Unknown, I made no claim to have any knowledge of the events in this case, I am just accurately quoting the law.

    “I do agree that if the girl is that young she doesnt need to be having sex but if she wasnt having it with him it was someone, I am sure if not you, you know someone that has had sexual activity with someone under the legal age while they themself was of legal age whether it be 1 to 8 years,”

    I have never had sex with a minor, that is against the law and certainly against my Christian spirituality. I do not know people who committed statutory rape. While it is likely that some people I have contact with have committed that crime, I do not knowlingly associate with rapists or other sex offenders. They are not nice people!

    “you just can’t go and accuse until you know the whole story, all it takes is for a girl to date a guy and have activity with him and he be legal and her not to be and the parents to not like him, I am speaking for that from personal experience.”

    Unknown, I made no accusations at all, I just stated the law. If you are under age and having sexual relations with people that are 18 or over you are putting them at risk for being locked up. Perhaps some self control would help you both. Also, while older partners are sometimes considered a catch for the younger partner, what kind of loser dates younger, under age girls?

    It has not been my intent to insult you. Instead, I hope you think about these things and consider making better choices.

    God bless you and peace.

    Trey

  37. c andrews said,

    April 1, 2008 at 6:52 pm

    HE WASN’T CONVICTED OF RAPE, HE WAS CONVICTED OF CARNAL KNOWLEDGE. HE DID NOT RAPE ANYONE. GET THE FACTS STRAIGHT.

  38. April 1, 2008 at 10:08 pm

    C Andrews, thank you for that information. Though I had heard the term before, I wasn’t sure of the actual meaning. I did find a definition at The Legal Dictionary.

    carnal knowledge n. from Latin carnalis for “fleshly:” sexual intercourse between a male and female in which there is at least some slight penetration of the woman’s vagina by the man’s penis. It is legally significant in that it is a necessary legal characteristic or element of rape, child molestation, or consensual sexual relations with a girl below the age of consent (“statutory rape”). Age of consent varies from 14 to 18, depending upon the state.

    http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/carnal+knowledge

    Whereas statutory rape is defined as

    The criminal offense of statutory rape is committed when an adult sexually penetrates a person who, under the law, is incapable of consenting to sex. Minors and physically and mentally incapacitated persons are deemed incapable of consenting to sex under rape statutes in all states. These persons are considered deserving of special protection because they are especially vulnerable due to their youth or condition.

    http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/statutory+rape

  39. unknown23 said,

    April 2, 2008 at 12:45 am

    Once again, I’m not taking up for him and saying he did not commit a crime, I understand that some people think that rape is rape but there is a big difference between someone holding another person down and forcing them to do something and when someone has agreed to the sexual activity whether they are 18 or if they are 15. As for (Trey), I am not taking anything you say personal, nor am I trying to convince you and make you change you mind of anything, though its not the same situation with Dequency’s past charges, you say that nobody should have sex with a minor, but what about those high school sweethearts and other situations when one partner is older than the other, that one person has to turn legal age one way or another and when they do, if they are having sexual intercourse are they suppose to just stop for however long until the other partner turns legal, lets really think about that, I’m not saying what he did was right but everyone attacks him on those past charges and makes it out like he is a sexual predator that took advantage of someone against their own consent, all I am saying is before everyone accuses someone of being such a monster for this past crime is do a little research into this past crime before posting that he is an animal, and as for is recent charges against his most recent girlfriend, if anyone here is from Dinwiddie, and knows that girl, they will know what type of person she is, what she was doing at the time, and is still doing at this time, personally I can tell you that you shouldnt believe anything out of that girls mouth, trust me. Alot of you may think that I am some little girl just sitting here trying to take of for Dequency because I know him but its nothing like that, I was friends with both him and Leigha and I know what there relationship was like as well as anyone else that was good friends with them, its just that instead of pointing the finger at one person I look at all the different possibilities that maybe in this situation, as I said before the recent girlfriend that pressed charges, haha, if you talked to her for about 15 minutes and saw her you would know exactly what I am talking about of why you shouldnt believe anything she has said, just put it this way, that girl is tied up in alot of stuff that she shouldnt be.

  40. unknown23 said,

    April 2, 2008 at 12:54 am

    carnal knowledge n. from Latin carnalis for “fleshly:” sexual intercourse between a male and female in which there is at least some slight penetration of the woman’s vagina by the man’s penis. It is legally significant in that it is a necessary legal characteristic or element of rape, child molestation, or consensual sexual relations with a girl below the age of consent (”statutory rape”). Age of consent varies from 14 to 18, depending upon the state.

  41. unknown23 said,

    April 2, 2008 at 12:58 am

    Sorry about that last one this was all meant to be on one comment!!

    Unknown wrote: “You say that a minor is a minor and cannot consent to secual activity with an adult,”

    Trey wrote: “Yes I did, this is a fact of the law.”

    Well Trey, as C Andrews wrote and I apologize as well for misterming his conviction, but Dequency was not even convicted of Stagatory rape it was carnal knowledge, which is very different and you say that a minor cannot consent to sexual activity, well read that definition above and it does say and I quote, “Age of consent varies from 14 to 18, depending upont the state.”.

  42. April 2, 2008 at 1:03 am

    Yes but since this has become such an interesting topic of conversation I went to read the original charges. Looks like he was charged with felony rape originally. But the charges were reduced during a plea deal in which he pleaded guilty to felony carnal knowlege. And to be honest, to me as a layperson- the two charges are defined very similiarly.

  43. unknown23 said,

    April 2, 2008 at 2:03 am

    homesweethome, honestly I understand where you and everyone else is coming from and I am not gonna argue about it b/c like many other people have said, we are not the ones who decide whether you believe he did it and I believe he didnt is not what is going to make justice, I am just trying to share another point of view with everyone that does not know everything about the few people involved with this when I do know some things as well as a few others on this site that I am sure can relate to and know what I mean when I say that people accuse him of being a sexual predator like he held someone down without their consent or something and raped them and forced them to do things when it was nothing like that, honestly is was just a normal sexual activity situation when there involved a person under the age of 18 but the parents didnt like him, but anyway I just want everyone to understand that he didnt hurt anyone to receive those charges.

  44. April 2, 2008 at 2:39 am

    But the fact is Unknown23, it is rape when an adult person has sex with a minor. Because a child cannot consent. Now I noted the comment early on about it “could” have been an older boyfriend with a younger girlfriend that was mentioned early on in the thread. And I didn’t take issue with it because this thread is really more about the murder of one woman and the attempted murder of another- and both women happened to be either girlfriends or ex-girlfriend’s of Dequency Batts. But the fact is that comment is such a classic sexual molester comment that it is almost a cliche. Now I don’t know about your views on 2-3 year old children having a right to consent to sex, but my views are that children cannot and should not be able to consent to a sexual act. Especially with an adult. And that if that adult should engage in a criminal act with a child, that adult should be charged and prosecuted. Personally, I think the age of 15 is too young for a child to give consent, but that is the states law and I will accept that.

    But since you all have brought the issue up, let’s really take a look at it. Dequency Batts was originally charged with Felony Rape. Felony Rape can be from making the complaint to participate through force, threat, or intimidation. Or it can be a child under the age of 12! Now Dequency was not convicted under that charge.
    http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-61

    Instead he admitted guilt to carnally knowing a child between the ages of 13 and 15 years of age. Not a 17 year old, not a 16 year old- but a child between the ages of 13 and 15. So that would be what? A child between the grades of 7th to the 9th? No matter how the parents felt about it, it was an illegal act. Had they not taken action and it came out later in some way, they could also have faced charges for allowing it. So the parents are not to blame, the child has no ability to consent, so who does take the blame? The adult involved in the illegal act.
    http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-63

    It is not any secret that all states have consent laws. Laws that spell out how old a child must be before they can consent. And even at those ages of consent most cannot sign themselves into a hospital, rent an apartment, or do anything else to provide care for themselves. But this was an adult who chose to engage in an act with a child even younger than the age of consent. So when an adult chooses, yes chooses to have sex with a minor child, he also chooses to break the law and risk jail or prison, being put on the sex offender list and all the other things that goes along with it. It was his choice and he was an adult capable of giving consent.

  45. unknown23 said,

    April 2, 2008 at 5:23 am

    homesweethome: yes I do understand what you are saying about the situation, my only point is if you knew the whole story behind those charges maybe you would understand a little better of where I am coming from but I do understand what you are saying, yes he did make that choice and he was wrong for making that choice but it dosent make him a dangerous person. Also, you say you don’t know how I feel about a 2 or 3 year old having sexual activity and if they can consent, where does that come from nobody said anything about a child, I am talking about a teenager, a young adult, whatever term you would like to use to refer to someone that is old enough to know better as well as an adult of the legal age and older. As I said once before I am not going to argue about this, as you said, that is not what this thread is in reference to, it is in reference to Leigha who was murdered, but I wouldnt so much say in reference to the attempted murder for the current girlfriend, if that is what they call that, I was not there the day when the “attempted murder” took place to see what really happen but as I said before, if you knew this person who is saying these things like I do and maybe even some of the other people on here or even just reading this thread you would know that you cant really believe anything that comes out of that persons mouth, for all we know she could have had something to do with Leigha’s murder being that she was so jealous of the attention Dequency gave Leigha because he was so in love with her and that is the mother of his child, she said herself that before she turned him in they argued about the attention situation, what if she only turned him in afterwards and said the things she did and put it on dequency b/c she knew he would be the first person the police and her family would point the finger and she could say those things and as long as it was making him look guilty they would listen b/c he “has a past”!! Honestly, I wouldn’t put anything past anyone anymore b/c the world has just gone crazy, before my papa died 3 years ago in July, he told me he will be happier in Heaven b/c your not safe to go in your own yard anymore, well I couldnt agree with him anymore than I do, Its the ones you wouldnt look at that may have something to do with this, I guess thats why I am so annoyed about the situation b/c everyone just act like they want it to be Dequency and not even look at other options.

  46. April 2, 2008 at 1:31 pm

    Oh, I got ya Unknown23. Dequency admitted to and pleaded guilty to sex charges against a child, but it wasn’t wrong. And it was all the fault of her horrible parents who ‘told’ on him. He is accused of attempted murder but she is out to get him. He is accused of murder, but that is all his girlfriend’s fault. Because he didn’t do anything wrong. It is just that everyone is out to get him. It is all someone else’s fault. Yep, I understand ya. I just hope the police will find that pesky psychopath who is following him around and committing all these crimes in his name. 😉

  47. Trey said,

    April 2, 2008 at 1:57 pm

    unknown wrote: “if they are having sexual intercourse are they suppose to just stop for however long until the other partner turns legal”

    Only if you want the older partner to avoid being charged and convicted of a sex crime.

    That is not true. We are bonded to the people we have sex with for the rest of our life. They affect our brain, and I would say our soul, for the rest of our life. Under proper circumstances, that is a blessing and a joy, under poorly chosen circumstances, that is a life long curse. Our culture treats sex like KoolAid when it is really pure grain alcohol. Read the posts above and you will see what I mean.

    I have no familiarity with the case, I have never commented upon the case. But some of the statements that you made are factually wrong or sadly naive, and I have comented upon those.

    So has Homesweethome. You are trapped in the role of the Rescuer. It is a role in Drama in which the Rescuer bends facts, lies, and ignores the obvious in order to keep up an illusion of someone else’s innonence and pretend Victim status. From reading your posts, I imagine that you are deceived.

    We are just stating the facts about the law, if you allow yourself to become calm and let the facts sink in, you will have more clarity on this matter.

    Trey

  48. April 2, 2008 at 2:48 pm

    Trey, you have the right to your opinion. But actually, I am more in the role of fearful, than rescuer. You see most of the ones that I have covered
    here have been murdered. So yes, I do consider them to be victims. No, I don’t always consider them to have been perfect or totally innocent. But I don’t know of any murder victims who ‘deserved’ to be murdered. My belief
    is that any killing is wrong, unless a person has been tried, convicted, and sentenced to death or unless it is in defense of self or others.

    And of the ones that have not been murdered, I understand that a domestic murder can happen in homes where there is no history of abuse.
    But domestic murders are more likely to happen where there is a history of domestic violence. So yes, you could call me fearful.

    If you are referring to my stance on child sex abuse, I do agree with you that sex is treated too casually in our culture. And I believe that teens try to imitate life the way they see it around them and try to appear older than they are. That is a natural part of their reaching for adulthood, to be grownup like what they see around them. And yes, it leads to the teens dressing, preening and trying to act older and more experienced at earlier ages. But just like a younger kid who gets into their parents car and pretends to drive, no responsible adult will allow it to happen.

    Now, I may not have your experience (yes, I noted that you work with sex abuse survivors), but if I am incorrect in my perceptions
    perhaps you would care to enlighten me.

  49. Trey said,

    April 2, 2008 at 3:31 pm

    Homesweethome, please forgive my poor posts, I do not see you at ALL in the role of the rescuer. I was referring to unknown, not you, and my writing confused that.

    I enjoy your blog because of your healthy stance and good writing on a difficult topic. You strike me as an emotionally healthy person, and I am embarassed that I caused any confusion along those lines.

    Please accept my appology for the confusion, if I had a critique of you, I would have posted it, but I enjoy this blog because I enjoy and appreciate your position and thoughts on this problem even in the few times when I disagree with you.

    From my perspective, you were speaking the truth about a person’s conviction, and you were bing treated like the Perpetrator for speaking the truth! I saw no Drama in your posts at all. Unknown’s posts were drencehd with Drama. Unknown skirts the truth, makes excuses for the facts, and works to diminish the personal responsibility of the person they were Rescuing. That is what Rescuers do! You were sticking to the facts and speaking them clearly, that is what healthy, responsible people do.

    Again, forgive my clumsy writing, and please accept my appology for what felt like an unjust critique. It would have been unjust if I had meant to write it! You rock, and I stand by that statement without appology.

    The people you write about are well and truly victims, God bless and keep them. They were truly innocent in that they were endeserving of murder. OK, they were not totally innocent, but you have never said or even suggested that. You just say that they deserved to live. We agree!

    Trey

  50. Trey said,

    April 2, 2008 at 3:34 pm

    I re-read my post, I should have written “Homesweethome” has written to you about that as well” when I was talking to unknown. DOH!

    Those comments were directed toward unknown, and I was trying to say that you were giving unknown the same feedback that I was. Bad writing on my part, I will do better so as not to bring down the quality of your blog.

    I think I will have another cup of coffee!

    Trey

  51. unknown23 said,

    April 2, 2008 at 3:59 pm

    Once again, if you read my past posts you will see that I have said more than once that I am not saying he didn’t do it, it’s just that if you were here in Dinwiddie County and you knew all of the people tied in this case you would be able to see the other options of what may have happened and not just the one obvious thing, yes I do agree that alot is adding against him but that is the whole point, that someone else that had a problem with Leigha they knew that if something happened to her it would all go on to Dequency, you people act like you have never heard of a setup or not even that just it just so happen that maybe Dequency was in the wrong place at the wrong time, but as I said before I am not the judge, the police or anything like that so I can not say if he did it or not, all I am saying is people should look at other options. As for Trey, I have to agree with you 100% about our generations these days are treating sex like its an everyday routine when it should be taken more seriously. My fiance made a very good point to me though and I hope that you can open your mind to understand this as well as homesweethome, not saying this was the position that Dequency was in at all b/c he was aware of the girls age but there are alot of females today of the ages 14 to 17 that have a body and all the looks of a 18 and older woman, there are alot of females who can lie of there age and it is believable b/c of the way they look, some of them could say they are 14 to 17 some people wouldnt even believe it b/c they look older than that, what about the legal adults put in that situation, are you suppose to id someone now in the heat of the moment? Another thing is kids these days do what they want b/c parents do not bring there kids up the way people use to either, if parents would spend more time with there kids and be there for them more than alot of them are now maybe the kids wouldnt have time to go have sex on occasion the way they do, now don’t get me wrong, I’m not blaming all parents but I am sure that you both can agree with me on the fact of parents are nothing like they use to be back in the days, I mean come on, if your kids does do wrong, you cant even give them an old fashioned butt whipping like they use to get without getting child abuse half of the time, I agree with the laws alot but some of them are just crazy.

  52. unknown23 said,

    April 2, 2008 at 4:06 pm

    As for Trey, you can see me in whatever way you want to and say what you want to but as I have said many times, Leigha was my friend as well as Dequency, everytime I see a picture of her, it just hurts to think of something happening to her like that, just to know of how sweet of a person she was and a great mother and to know that I hold precious memories with her, but it hurts me to think that there very well could be someone else who did this and nobody is even looking into those other possible suspects that they could have and all I want is for the justice system to charge this case with the right person and not the wrong just b/c certian things point to him. As for you saying I am bending the truth and so on, no one is bending the truth, you do not live here in Dinwiddie, you didnt know any of the people involved in this personally and I did so as well as the others who know them better than I do and if you did you would know where I am coming from and you would see that nobody is bending the truth they are just looking at other possibilities.

  53. April 2, 2008 at 4:56 pm

    Unknown23, you seem to have a conviction that there is someone else. I have to ask this question. Have you gone to police with your suspicions and named names so that they could be investigated?

  54. April 2, 2008 at 5:07 pm

    No apology necessary Trey. Even if you had meant it that way I would still say you are entitled to your opinion.

  55. unknown23 said,

    April 2, 2008 at 5:15 pm

    I’m not saying I know someone else did it, all I am saying is what it, I do know that Leigha’s boyfriend at the time was seen driving her car the friday after she disappeared adn before it was found in the parking lot and when that person that saw him went to the Dinwiddie County Sheriff’s Office about it they told him “we got who we want”. My whole point is, people didnt like Dequency so it just makes it so much easier to accuse him if you understand. Also that boyfriend that was seen driving her car that friday went back to georgia where he is from and nobody has seen or heard from him since, now if you ask me that is a little weird how he just goes back to georgia right after she disappears. My whole thing is, Dequency and Leigha were always on and off again, how do we know she didnt leave with him that day and they were talking and trying to work things out, her boyfriend had her car and he saw her with Dequency, got jealous and as soon as Dequency dropped Leigha back off at her friends house her boyfriend pulled up in her car, thats how her pocket book and things were left in the car, and told her to get in and things went from there, then he hung around in her car somewhere hidden for a couple days until a friend or relative from georgia could get here, hince a couple of days after her disappearence her car was found. The really weird part about the situation is nobody knew his real name he only went by a nickname, so Leigha was probably the only one around here that knew his real name, but Im not sure how true it is but I heard he was living with her as well at her mothers, so if thats the case and even if its not how come Leasia didnt push police on to him as well as Dequencey, b/c if my daughter disappeared and then her boyfriend skipped town I mean that is a little obvious. But the police were approached about this and they didnt want to hear it.

  56. April 2, 2008 at 5:30 pm

    Unknown23, what I am hearing is a mistrust of the police. But what you are forgetting is that police and prosecutors know that this will eventually get to trial. And that once it goes to trial, they will have to show proof for the arrest. And they will have to have more proof than just one persons witness testimony.

    That is why often there is a time of waiting before an arrest. And I believe that occured with Dequency didn’t it? Leigha disappeared and the other woman came forward. But it was later before Dequency was arrested. That tells me that did investigate, they did wait until they had proof they feel is significant enough that they can take him to trial.

    You say that Leigha had a new boyfriend. And that that was reported to police. Likely during that waiting period before Dequency was arrested, he too was being checked out. Most usually in any violent death, spouses and boyfriends are given some scrutiny because of domestic violence. My guess would be that he passed that scrutiny. Not because police didn’t like Dequencey, but because the evidence they have led them to Dequencey and not the current boyfriend.

  57. Trey said,

    April 2, 2008 at 6:45 pm

    Homesweethome, thanks for the accepting my apology. I appreciate how you disagreed with me in a civil manner, you were right to disagree, but the civil was a choice and supports my high estimation of you as a person.

    But I do think it needed my apology as it had to feel that it came out of nowhere and to be baseless. It was!

    Keep writing, I will keep reading!

    Trey

  58. unknown23 said,

    April 3, 2008 at 2:45 am

    Homesweethome, yes you are right that the police have looked at the evidence and so on for Dequency, but they did not to arrest Dequency to long, she went missing on thursday and he was arrested I believe either sunday or that monday, and no the police did not look at the other boyfriend b/c once again if you do not remember reading where I wrote it, nobody knew his real name, he only went by a nickname, and if she went missing on thursday, her boyfriend was seen driving her car that friday and then they found it abandoned, you tell me what happened there, so he is just free to go even though he was seen driving her car and then dropped it and left it somewhere with her purse and everything in it, how did Dequency get her car if he was the one that dropped it off somewhere? B/c her current boyfriend had her car the whole time so you tell me?

  59. unknown23 said,

    April 3, 2008 at 2:49 am

    Also, they have no trial against Dequency anyway b/c there is no evidence on the body of how she was killed and from my understanding, not saying this is true, but a friend of mine is a nurse and she informed me that usually when a body is shot, stabbed and even strangulation sometimes, will usually show on the bones of the body, b/c bone fragments will be shattered and so on, but on leigha’s body there is none of that, so there was no cause of death so if im not mistaking they aren’t charging him with those charges anyway but I may be wrong. But if they arent I dont believe its in the system yet either or anything.

  60. April 3, 2008 at 4:08 am

    Unknown23, you say there is no evidence. Do you have a source inside the police department or the prosecutors office? Because usually very little of what they will have will be released to the media. Even some of the really high profile cases I have followed, with lots of leaks and other info from police sources will still have some evidence that wasn’t revealed in the media before the trial.

    Same with the boyfriend. Unless you have a source in the police department you wouldn’t necessarily know if they obtained the name of the boyfriend or what they found out on him, because that info wouldn’t be released.

    Yes, sometimes the cause of death will show on skeletal remains. But not always. And even if they can’t establish the cause of death, they can establish that she died and that is the first big step. The last article I have says they were not going to release the cause of death, not that they don’t have a cause of death. I don’t know if anything has been released since. Now how they connect what they have to Dequencey, I don’t know that can differ depending on what evidence they have.

    The last entry I made was that there was a plan to arrest Dequencey, but I don’t know if they did, or what county the arrest was in. Usually the charging county would be either the county in which they believe the murder took place or the county in which the remains were found. But that can differ in different states.

  61. unknown23 said,

    April 3, 2008 at 11:27 pm

    Homesweethome, no I didnt get my information from the media, your right the information I have received wasnt released, just put it this way, everyone knows everyone in Dinwiddie County its not hard to find out anything you wanna know including on the internet, if you can’t find out from a person or such you can find it on the internet. They have no cause of death. Also you say they may not be able to establish a cause of death but they show she died yes, but they can’t charge someone with murder if they have no cause of death b/c they can’t prove she was murdered, nobody knows if she died of other reasons or not, you never know, for all anyone knows she could have overdosed or anything

  62. April 4, 2008 at 2:31 am

    Like I said, you might be suprised at what they have. Though rumors fly, most departments are able to limit most of the known info to only the officers involved in the investigation. What that evidence is, I have no way of knowing.

    One thing I do know, is that there are ways for them to link the death to person or persons. I have known many skeletal remains cases that have been prosecuted, even without a cause of death. I even know of a few that have been successfully prosecuted when no remains were ever found. Though they always hope to have something solid at the scene that provides the link, it isn’t always necessary. And evidently they do feel they have enough, because after your last message that said they couldn’t have a trial I checked the Virginia Justice webpage and they do have him set for trial.

    Now you can continue to try to believe that there will be no trial. But my belief is that they found enough evidence that they believe they could arrest him and schedule him for trial. So at this point the only way to know what they have is to wait for the trial.

  63. unknown23 said,

    April 4, 2008 at 5:48 pm

    Well, what I know is not by rumors but anyway, everyone will just have to wait to see like I said. I never said he wouldnt have a trial, I said they do not have the evidence to prosecute him.

  64. Pam O'Riley said,

    May 21, 2008 at 7:11 pm

    Leisia, please contact me, I have lost your email address, the one I’m trying to use will not go through. I am interested in Leigha’s end of this mess not Batts prior criminal history……

  65. City Chick said,

    September 11, 2008 at 8:49 pm

    Very sorry to hear that this tragic story had a sad ending with the death of Leigha. Something that caught my attention is that the boyfriend’s name is just a “lin” away from Delinquency which means “…2. wrongful, illegal, or antisocial behavior. Compare juvenile delinquency. 3. any misdeed, offense, or misdemeanor.” and with the last name “Batts” which is another word for strikes or hits. Nomen est omen (Latin for “the name is a sign” or in slang “the name says it all”)…interesting coincidence.

  66. LH said,

    October 14, 2008 at 7:15 pm

    unknown… if u only knew…. as much as you think you do… you would be dangerous

  67. J Smith said,

    October 20, 2008 at 1:57 am

    Very observant City Chick. I think you just might be onto something! Excellent observation! And as the old saying goes, it sure looks like the shoe fits!

  68. LH said,

    December 17, 2008 at 3:11 pm

    unknown stated “”I never said he wouldnt have a trial, I said they do not have the evidence to prosecute him.””

    dude, a trial IS the prosecution

  69. LH said,

    July 2, 2009 at 5:58 pm

    So…after all this, he pleads guilty and tells the judge he killed her. 40 years

  70. Danielle said,

    July 4, 2009 at 12:00 pm

    I’m truley sorry for your lose and I give my condolences to all of you frinds and especially The Family, I know it most be VERY Hard for what has happen but at least know in your hearts that she is in HEAVEN now. Mr Batts on the other hand is a Very Cruel and Cold Hearted Person with no feeling what so ever and I’m glad that his locked up. He desevers more then 20 yrs if you ask me. But to the end of all this just remember she’ll always be with you in everyone’s HEARTS and Souls. Danielle Hayman

  71. LH said,

    November 30, 2010 at 8:21 pm

    nothing to add for a long time unknown. didn’t know as much as you said you did?


%d bloggers like this: