Within 48 seconds

Sunday afternoon about 4:45 pm a witness saw a man ramming a woman’s car in the parking lot of municipal building. The woman fled with the  man pursuing her. The witness contacted 911 and they sent an officer.

Reports say the officer arrived within 48 seconds of the 911 dispatch and  saw a man getting into a vehicle. When the officer confronted the man, the man resisted and the officer used his taser. However, the man was able to get into his vehicle and get away. It is thought that the forward motion of his vehicle pulled one of the taser posts off, making the charge ineffective.

The officer gave chase. About a mile down the road the suspect wrecked his vehicle and the officer placed him under arrest for fleeing an officer. Police have said that when he was taken into custody, blood was noted on his hands.

Inside the municipal building lobby, the officers found the man’s 35 year old wife unresponsive. She was taken to the hospital but was pronounced dead.

Police are expecting to file further charges on the 40 year old husband.

Early reports say the couple had recently moved to the area and that they may not have been living together. They are believed to have children.

At this point neither the suspect nor the victim have been named.

fdlreporter.com     gazetteextra.com    winonadaily.com

wiscnews.com                                           fdlreporter.com

Just think about that- the witness sees him ramming a car and sees him chasing a woman and calls police. 48 seconds later the police officer sees him getting into a vehicle. And it was already too late.

It is being said that she had recently moved to the area. So she may not have been aware that the municipal building was unstaffed on the weekend. Or in her panic she may have forgotten or she may have been so desperate that she took the chance of finding an officer there.

But it is a small town. Small towns have limited budgets, small staffs. So often the building that is usually humming with activity during office hours, would be empty and echoing after hours and on weekends. The officer that is on duty would be expected to be on patrol- not sitting in the office. Once notified there was a quick response. But already it was too late.

I don’t know if the suspect was aware that the building was the municipal office or that the police station was housed there. And I don’t know if he was aware the building was empty. Or if he was so blinded by rage that it may not have mattered.



  1. Becky J said,

    March 13, 2007 at 7:08 am

    I’ll bet that it didnt even matter to him by that time.

  2. March 14, 2007 at 12:23 pm

    […] now we come to Home Sweet Home and a very scary situation that only took 48 seconds to escalate to a wife’s murder. Very sad […]

%d bloggers like this: